Saturday, October 27, 2007

Another Day In MISEM

The purpose was to attend two days training on code optimisation and tuning and the venue was the Noida office of the same company I started my career with 7 years back.

As soon as I entered the office I could smell the same fragrance in the air, exactly the same steel mirrored wall behind the reception, almost similar grandiose interiors, jubilant freshers chuckling, giggling and pairing in every corner, office boys trying to shine up every inch of anything that was glossy. It was hard to belive that once again I was not in Sharda Center or for that matter in it's sister building.

Part of the visit that made me most nostalgic was the training itself and the hall in which the classes were held. Boy! it was unbelievably the same room although smaller in size. same classy furniture, cozy environment, life size screens, machines in latest configurations, yes, in place of bulky CRTs there were LCDs but the point is it was a perfect place to feel being pampered as was once MISEM. Best part is yet to come.

Despite of the place being similar, the objective of being at that place being similar, the feeling being similar, I was thinking at least I would observe a training event different than that experienced in yesteryears since the times have changed. But How wrong was I. First half of the first day saw every one putting their best foot forward in order to justify their presence. By second half 3 from class of 25 disappeared, rest still trying hard to not to get distracted by SMSs and mails. The real fun began on the second day as by then every one had realised that the instructor cares a damn what each one is upto (sounds familiar?). One could see the class unfolding into a perfect class of 2000, MISEM by each passing hour. Few in the front rows still trying to get the hang of what was being thrown to them, Most of the fairer sex deep buried in their cells or outlook inbox, rest digging the hard disk for some goddies as access to internet was blocked (missed Ashwini over there). To prove that randomness is the natures' law - also there were few who were sincerely doing assignments and interacting with the instructor.

I also thought of taking a peek into the folders and voila! a folder full of those blessed tiny Dos games - Prince, Dave, Xonix, Hangman, Tetris, Road Rash et al. In an instant a whole year filled with merriment and awe came alive in my mind and it became hard to resist few rounds of my all time favorite Dave although I still could not get pass the 7th level!

No comments on the purposeful of the training but these two days took me back to a world foregone and i was pressed hard to think that how few things don't ever change. One thing i missed most I guess was the age! (Patil Arcade, AOE haan?)

No comments: